You can feel the evening nip in the air. The days are getting shorter, evenings cooler, and leaves are starting to turn. As our thoughts turn to Halloween fun and Thanksgiving festivities, so should our plans for preparing our new home Dayton for the upcoming winter months.
- Clean and stow your mower
- Service your snow blower
- Remove garden hoses from faucets
- Drain and blow out your sprinkler system
- Seal air leaks with color matched or clear exterior caulk
- Remove debris from gutters – don’t forget the gutter spouts
- Safely check your roof for damaged shingles, black algae stains, and vent flashing
- Have your furnace and fireplace serviced so you’re ready for the first cold night
- Purchase a supply of appropriately sized furnace filters and plan to change on a monthly basis
- Check your smoke detectors and replace batteries
- Check and replace your fire extinguishers
- Trim plants and trees and remove leaves and debris from your yard and around your home
- Cut your grass shorter
- Aerate your lawn
- Apply a winter weed and feed to your lawn
- Apply a water sealant (we like Thompson’s Water Seal) to your patio, porch and driveway to prevent concrete spalling
- Move any paint you’ve been storing in your garage to the interior of you home to prevent freezing
- Clean and store lawn furniture in preparation for next spring
- Prepare a winter driving kit and store it in your car
- Pick up a supply of fresh wood for winter firepits with roasted marshmallows and hot chocolate
With your home maintenance in order, you can now focus your efforts on fall home decor! Click here for a little fall inspiration from Country Living.
About Peebles Homes: Locally owned Peebles Homes is a third-generation new home builder offering energy efficient new homes in the Dayton area for over 80 years. Offering new homes in some of the finest communities, Peebles Homes is an active member of the Dayton HBA. Second generation homebuilder Tom Peebles served as President of the HBA in 1995 and was picked by his peers as the 1994 Builder of the Year based on a record of leadership and accomplishment. In 2009, Tom was awarded the prestigious Robert E. McDaniel-Karl Zengel Leadership Award for demonstrated leadership accomplishments over a career. Third generation homebuilder, John Peebles, is a graduate of Southern Adventist University and a Certified Green Professional by the National Association of Home Builders. John has served on the Board of the Home Builders Association since 2013, serving as Vice President in 2016 and President in 2017. John was also named the 2018 Builder Member of the Year for contributions to the industry and the community.
Peebles Homes. Your Home. Your Way.